Friday, August 8, 2008

An Introduction

My name is Doug and I'm a new guy in Chicago. For my whole life (save for a 6 year stint spent in East Lansing, MI while in school) I had lived in the metro Detroit area. Recently I finished my MBA at the University of Michigan and with that set out to find myself a new job.

The job that I found ended up being at a large company with an office in Naperville, IL. As my wife and I are not exactly part of the Naperville set, we decided to find a place in the city and I would make the daily commute.

My new job has me working in interactive marketing. I've never been a "digital marketing guy" so a lot of this is new to me. I recently attended ad:tech in Chicago and came to the realization that I was pretty disconnected from the whole social media scene. I'm not on MySpace, Facebook, or Twitter, I don't read blogs, and I certainly don't write one. I figured I'd better make a change and get involved and the best way that I could think to do that was to start this thing. So here it is.

I asked myself "self, what do you have to say that people would want to read?" The answer was easy - "nothing at all". So, instead I've decided to use this as a space to chronicle all of the things that I've learned and will no doubt continue to learn as I adjust to living in Chicago. My hope is that someday, somebody, somewhere, somehow might glean a little bit of useful information out of this to make their own transition a bit easier. Also, any pertinent Chicago-related information that people might have would be appreciated. Like I said, I'm new here.

So, with this post, I've entered a digital age that I've been fighting for some time now. I'm "that guy that blogs about stuff". Great.

1 comment:

jsterioff said...

Welcome to the interweb.